What is a dildo
A dildo comes in many shapes and sizes and can have many different textures. They are one of the most common sex toys around and have been around for a very long time. Usually shaped like a penis, yet not always.
There are a few different materials that go into making these toys, a few of these are:
- Glass – Glass may be an unusual material to make a dildo from but we can assure you that glass is one of the safest materials for dildos. This is because it isn’t just any glass that is used, it is, in fact, ultra-durable borosilicate glass, which is a toughened glass so it won’t shatter when dropped and is pretty hard to break. It can also be heated or cooled for temperature play.
- Metal – Yet another unusual material used to make a dildo but another one of the best. Metal, as you know, is very strong so dropping it will not break it, throwing it off the wall will not break it. It can be cooled down or heated up for temperature play.
- Jelly Rubber – One of the cheapest materials for making dildos. It can be shaped and coloured to any specification, so it has been used for many years to make sex toys. The material can contain phthalates though, which is a chemical that is added to the rubber to make it more flexible, although most toys usually come phthalate-free. If you have a toy that is made from this material then we suggest you use it with a condom and never store them together, the materials will react and they will melt.
- Silicone – Silicone is one of the best materials to make your dildos. Many manufacturers are now turning to silicone to make their toys with. Most of the more expensive dildos on the market are made from silicone as the material can do so much and will last so long you may never need to replace it. Never use silicone lubricant with a silicone toy though, it will degrade the material.
- Latex – Latex is a form of rubber that can be made into some amazingly stimulating shapes. This type of material is usually used on inflatable toys. When cleaning your latex toys make sure to use an antibacterial sex toy cleaner and dry it out thoroughly. Use some refresh powder on it to help keep the rubber soft and flexible.
- Skin Safe Rubber – Free from phthalates, free from latex. This type of rubber is called TPE/TPR (thermoplastic elastomer/rubber). Its usually found in rabbit vibrators.
Types of dildo
There are many different types of dildos to choose from.
- Animal, Fantasy & Fun – These types of dildos are a step away from the norm. They take the shape of many different objects such as a boot, a dogs paw, a hand (fisting dildo) and even include the kind that heats up. If you do see past the strange shape of most of these toys though you will be surprised at just how good they feel. They have many different unique textures to them, which makes using an absolute pleasure.
- Double Ended Dildos – These toys are shaped like a penis, on both ends, and are very popular amongst lesbian couples or women that love double penetration. Some of these double-enders are a whopping 18 inches long and are very flexible.
- Double Penetration Dildos – Now we know double-enders can be used for double penetration, but these ones are made especially for this type of play. The standard style of these toys is the penis, that is used on the vagina, and a smaller phallic like object that penetrates the anus at the same time. although not all double penetration dildos look like penises. One of the other popular types are the ones that look like two penises, side by side, made to double penetrate the vagina.
- Glass Dildos – Glass dildos are rising in popularity. They are made from a toughened glass that will not shatter and is extremely hard to break. They are one of the easiest dildos to maintain, with their smooth finish, cleaning it is very easy. They can be used as part of temperature control with hot or cold water and are just beautiful to even look at.
- Inflatable Dildos – What an amazing invention, picture this, you buy your very own dildo and use it for a few months only to realise you would like a different experience, well, no problem. With an inflatable dildo, you can pump it up to the desired size and off you go again. You could have a different sensation with every session.
- Large Dildos – This type of dong should only be tackled by the more experienced user. They are a lot larger than any regular dong, some of them can be up to 18 inches in length and have plenty of girth. We recommend these be used with caution, use plenty of lubricants for the best experience.
- Metal Dildos – Just like glass, metal is one of the best materials you can use, simply because of what they’re made of, metal. They are very easy to clean, they will not break and they can be used as part of temperature play, heating and cooling them with warm water.
- Realistic Dildos – Probably one of the most common types of dildo. These are shaped like a penis and come with all different textures, usually, the veins make the texture. Most realistic dildos come with the balls attached too and a suction cup base. The suction cup base allows the user to attach it to any smooth surface and it also allows them to be used with a harness.
- Squirting Dildos – These toys are very similar to realistic dildos with one extra amazing feature, they allow you to feel that sensation of being ejaculated in! Yes, these dildos ejaculate, they work by filling it with jizz juice, then when its time to squirt you just squeeze the pump and the dildo cums.
Even though not much can go wrong when using a dildo, it is still necessary to take proper precautions. Use plenty of lubricants when needed and don’t risk inserting one that is too large for you, it probably won’t feel good.
If you are stuck on what you want or don’t know where to start, then let us help you out with our Dildos Buyers Guide.